Reddit is a social news and discussion website that is among the top 10 most visited websites worldwide. It features a massive collection of forums and communities — dubbed ‘subreddits’ — where individuals can exchange news and other items and comment on others’ contributions. Reddit has around 430 million active users every month as of February 2021, yet many of them would like to cancel their subscriptions. If you are one of them, read on.
While useful, Reddit’s many features can quickly become a distraction. Besides, the platform has had some data confidentiality difficulties in the past. Social sites like Reddit exchange user information with third companies, which has not gone down well with users in the past. GDPR compliance can help fix these holes to a considerable extent, but many firms are still not fully there yet.
Did you know that you can switch off information sharing from your profile settings in Reddit? Possibly not, given this is not a fact that Reddit advertises openly.
If you are concerned about the misuse of your personal information, you might be considering taking off Reddit completely.
So, what happens when you remove your Reddit account?
Is Your Personal Information Removed When You Delete Your Account?
How much of a user’s digital footprint does account deletion actually eliminate, and how much does it leave behind? This is a major concern for users who are thinking about leaving Reddit because of the personal information (PII) it stores. When you cancel your account, will your information be deleted?
Nope, because we don’t just erase old comments and postings. It’s possible that any of those could contain your personal information and remain on the service indefinitely. Definitely not the best-case scenario. Can you download your personal data? Not on your own, you can’t. To obtain this, you must make contact with the system in question.
Are Deactivation and Deletion the Same?
When talking about Reddit, deactivation and deletion are synonymous terms. There is currently no way to temporarily suspend your Reddit account.
Can You Reactivate Your Account Later?
Once a user’s account is removed, it cannot be restored. When a username is taken, it can never be used again. Be sure you want to permanently deactivate your Reddit account before doing so.
How to Delete a Reddit Account
With all of that out of the way, here’s how you delete your Reddit account:
With a Reddit Premium Subscription
If you are a Reddit Premium member, simply deactivating your account will not cancel your subscription, so make sure to follow these steps first.
- If you have an Apple ID and wish to cancel your Reddit Premium subscription, you can do so by visiting the Apple App Store and selecting Manage Subscriptions from the menu at the top of the screen. There’s also the option to do this in the Account Settings menu on your mobile device.
- To cancel a Reddit Premium subscription that was purchased through Google Play, navigate to the Subscriptions tab in Google Play.
- If you paid for your subscription with PayPal, you may access your subscription details in the Payments area of your PayPal account. Preapproved Payments can be set up under the Payment Settings menu. In order to terminate your Reddit Premium subscription, navigate to your account settings and click the “Subscriptions” tab.
- If you have a membership that was paid for with a credit card, you can cancel it in the Reddit Premium settings area of your user profile.
When attempting to permanently remove your Reddit account from a desktop computer, you should keep the following in mind.
Deleting Your Posts and Comments
If you decide to cancel your Reddit account, one of the first things you may wonder is whether or not doing so will also destroy your posts and comments. Not at all. Although your profile name will now read [Deleted], whatever content you’ve uploaded will remain viewable on Reddit. Before deactivating your account, it is recommended that you remove all of your previous posts and comments.
Each and every post and remark will require this to be done by hand.
1. Log in to your account.
2. Click on Posts at the top of the page, next to Overview.
3. Click on the three dots that you see below your post to open the overflow menu, in which you will see the Delete option.
4. Click on it to remove the post. Do the same for any comments.
Deleting Your Reddit Account
- Navigate to the top right of your screen and locate User Settings below Profile.
- Click on User Settings and scroll down the screen to find the Deactivate Account option, shown in red.
- Select the Account Deactivate link. If you choose to deactivate your account, Reddit will present a window asking you to explain why. Put in your login information. I accept that deactivated accounts are permanently deleted and cannot be restored. Now that the Deactivate button is enabled, you can use it to take the next step.
- A second confirmation prompt will appear to ensure that you truly wish to cancel your account. To permanently remove yourself, select the Deactivate button.
- If you signed up for your account with your Google or Apple ID, you can delink the two accounts by going to the Connected Accounts area.
Also Read: Yellow Heart on Snapchat? [Complete Info]
On Mobile Device
To delete your account on your phone’s Reddit app, follow the below steps.
- Log in to your Reddit account.
- Tap on the icon in the top left of your screen to view your profile.
- Click on Settings. Scroll down and click on Help FAQ.
- You will be taken to the Reddit Help page, which features a search bar. If you search for “Deactivate,” the first result will be an article titled “How can I deactivate my account?”
- Click on the article title hyperlink to view it.
- Click on the link given in the article; you will see the deactivation screen, which is pretty much the same as on a PC.
- To initiate the deactivation process, please provide your login and password. Make your acceptance of the irretrievable nature of deleted accounts clear by selecting the corresponding box. To continue, select the “deactivate account” link.
- Another popup from Reddit appears, asking for confirmation that you really want to deactivate your account. To permanently remove your account, select “Deactivate.”
If you’re concerned about your privacy and are abandoning Reddit because of it, you should exercise the same caution wherever you go online. Putting personal information online like your age, address, or holiday plans leaves you vulnerable to things like identity theft and break-ins. Before posting anything on any social networking sites, be sure you’ve read their privacy rules and understand what information they collect and how they’ll use it. If you use social media, restrict who can see your postings by adjusting your privacy settings. Is there anything else you ran into when attempting to delete your Reddit account that we didn’t cover here? Please share your thoughts with us below.