Dermot Mulroney Leaves an Interview with The View to Back the WGA Strike!
Dermot Mulroney took a stand for the WGA strike, which is still going on. A source close to the situation told EW that the star left the set for a pre-recorded interview that will air on The View on Friday.
The 59-year-old actor from Scream VI told the cohosts of the ABC talk show that he would “symbolically walk off in support of the writers” on the set of the show. Since then, EW has learned that Mulroney left the table after a friendly interview, as longtime panelist Joy Behar, who was stepping in for Whoopi Goldberg, who usually takes Fridays off, as moderator, promoted his appearance in the new Disney+ show Secret Invasion.
We were told that the piece will air exactly as it was recorded because there was no tension between the hosts and the actor and that the act was meant to show support for Hollywood’s striking writers.
Mulroney said in a statement, “Since I have so much respect for The View, a news show with a heart, that’s where I felt most comfortable bringing attention to the ongoing WGA strike for fair wages and working hours.” “I believe it’s very important to keep supporting the union.”
In May, EW confirmed that the show would keep airing new episodes in the immediate future. The show is mostly improvised, so only a few of the writers were affected. The View has not hired anyone else to do the work of the writers while they are on strike.
Still, since the strike started, Goldberg has started most live episodes with a note about how the show is running without a writing team.
During the strike, which happened because the WGA and the Alliance of Motion Pictures and Television Producers couldn’t come to a deal, writers protested for fair pay from companies like Netflix, Disney, Warner Bros, and more.