Cannabis Terpenes: What Are the Most Popular Terpenes in Cannabis?
Terpenes are hydrocarbons found in the essential oils of plants; they are well recognized in pine trees (most evergreen plants). Terpenes are chemicals found in cannabis exclusively in the trichomes of the plant. Learn more about terpenes with Gold Cuts!
Trichomes, the sticky, transparent glands that cover the surfaces of cannabis buds, are easily visible. The terpenes of cannabis are found here. Where do they fit in, and what else do you need to know about them?
What Are Terpenes Used for In Cannabis?
Terpenes play a crucial role in cannabis since they regulate the plant’s development. Terpenes not only determine the aroma of cannabis plants, but also their taste, appearance, and psychoactive properties.
Since you’re already aware that different cannabis strains have distinctive aromas, you undoubtedly have a good nose for identifying terpenes. However, the profile of the plant’s terpenes is particularly important to consider because of the role they play in the plant’s psychoactive effects.
Do Terpenes Get You High?
To what extent do terpenes have psychedelic properties? Terpenes are not psychoactive, so the answer to that question is no. Some terpenes may have mild psychoactive effects, but they will not cause you to become “high” in the conventional sense. THC is responsible for the majority of cannabis’ psychotropic effects. The compound known as tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is actually a cannabinoid, not a terpene. Terpenes and cannabinoids function in a distinct way. Accordingly, terpenes affect the body in ways that have psychoactive effects, such as soothing and alleviating pain, but they are not responsible for intoxication.
What Are the Benefits of Terpenes?
Terpenes provide a variety of important advantages. The precise advantages of terpenes, however, will vary from one cannabis plant to the next due to the unique terpene profile of each strain.
You can find some of the most prevalent terpenes and the health advantages they provide below:
- Some terpenes can make you relax. If you are looking for a source of stress relief, terpenes might help you.
- Some terpenes can provide mental health benefits. Some can even help people treat the symptoms of depression.
- There are terpenes that have antimicrobial effects as well. This means that some terpenes could play a role in fighting infections.
- Specific terpenes can play a role in pain relief. With numerous people suffering from chronic pain, terpenes could play a role in the treatment process.
What Do Terpenes Look Like?
Terpenes are molecules, not particles, and so cannot be seen by the human eye. Terpenes vary in molecular structure based on the specific terpene being studied. Terpenes can be found in the trichomes of female cannabis plants, though you’ll probably need a microscope to make out the individual molecules. If the manufacturer labels the terpene profile of the cannabis strain it came from, you can learn more about it.
What Are the Most Popular Terpenes in Cannabis?
There are a variety of terpenes you may see in cannabis. They include:
- Caryophyllene and camphor may possess antiviral properties, which means they can keep certain viruses at bay.
- Limonene is a popular terpene because it may contain anti-cancer properties. Pinene and beta-myrcene could also play a role in fighting cancer.
- Linalool is known to make you relax. It can also play a role in helping you fight depression.
- Camphor, eucalyptol, and terpinolene could play a role in helping to fight certain types of infection.
- Terpenes such as geraniol and humulene could play a role in providing pain relief.
These terpenes are only a small sample of the numerous that can be found in cannabis. If you have concerns about what particular terpenes could do, it is best to see an expert.
Claybourne Co Posts Terpene Profiles on The Packaging!
Have a peek at our packaging if you’re curious about the effects of various terpenes. We are also one of the few companies to list our terpenes on our packaging. Take a look at our Wintergreen Supreme—among the most popular strains—and you’ll see that limonene, linalool, and caryophyllene predominate as terpenes. A few of our other best-selling colors are Tropic Fury, Vanilla Dice, and Ice Cream Paint Job. Check out what we have to offer right away, and get in touch if you have any questions.